On my open source project called OpenOKR, I’m collaborating with a fellow Flatiron grad, Marie. Together, Marie and I are learning how to use git and GitLab as a team to not screw things up for each other when we push new code or changes.
The basics of how we collaborate are as follows:
- On GitLab, I own the master branch
- The GitLab settings for the project are set such that I approve all merge requests
- Marie pulls down the master repository before checking out a new branch
- When she’s ready to push the code in her branch, she’ll first pull down the master to ensure her local repo is up to date with master
- Then she’ll push the new changes up to the master, which will create a merge request in GitLab that I can approve
This is the most basic collaboration process and we’re only two contributors. I assume things will get more interesting as more developers join the project. :-)
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox.